Snorkels are commonly the first accessory ever fitted to a four wheel drive. And why wouldn’t they be with all these benefits? Not only do they allow for deep water crossings and hassle free air induction when immersed in dust; they also have other key features.
The air quality at roof level is cleaner and cooler than air travelling via the bonnet, so this means greater fuel efficiency and less clogging of air filters. These are very important factors, particularly when 4WDing on dry, dusty roads.
Even when it rains the TJM Airtec design captures and disperses rain drops through drain holes at the base of the air ram. This feature removes excess rain from mixing with the air stream and preventing water intake during heavy rain. When it comes to materials, TJM sources only the finest quality to be used in the Airtec range.
All products are made with leading Australian polymer materials that exceed the Australian Standard for UV stabilisation of UV8, with ratings at UV20-UV24. The colour pigmentation process doesn’t cut any corners giving you an even, dense and bleed-free product. Unlike other manufacturers, TJM individually engineer and design the snorkel to suit the natural shape of the vehicle.
Although functionality is important, we want you to look good too! Proudly Australian made and quality assured, you can have the confidence that a TJM Airtec snorkel will achieve peak performance each and every time.
Protecting your engine from dust, snow and water ingestion is essential for keeping your 4WD on the tracks and not the side lines. TJM Complete Snorkel Kit will ensure that clean, dry air is always available, regardless of the conditions.
The TJM Air Ram incorporates a highly effective, inbuilt water separator system that removes rainwater from the incoming air stream. The Safari Charge Air Ram can also be rotated to face away from any prevailing conditions.
Features & benefits
- The TJM Airtec intake design separates rain or moisture from the air stream before it enters the engine.
- The snorkel body is manufactured with a smooth inner wall, harsh corners are avoided in all designs which reduces air turbulence and allows a constant uninterrupted air flow to the engine. All TJM Airtec snorkels are perfectly engineered to supply the correct volume of air or better to the engine which may improve your engines efficiency.
- Designed, engineered and moulded in Australia from high quality UV-resistant polyethylene for maximum strength and rigidity. All TJM Airtec snorkels incorporate stainless steel hardware.
- TJM Airtec snorkels are not only well engineered but are carefully designed to be aesthetically pleasing. Each Airtec snorkel is designed to flow with the vehicles natural styling, they are easily the best looking snorkels on the market.
- Easy installation minimising modifications to vehicle’s original components.
- TJM Airtec snorkels offer a wide range to fit most popular 4WD makes and models.
- Designed exclusively for TJM and supplied through the TJM Australia wide and international sales and service network
Designed for extreme temperatures
Snorkel components out of sight, underneath the bonnet are an integral part of the complete snorkel system and are relied upon to transfer air from the snorkel body to the vehicle’s air box. These components are exposed to extreme temperatures often exceeding 100° C. TJM understands the importance of using materials that can withstand extreme temperatures as well as being tough enough to endure harsh vibrations.
When it comes to incorporating colour into the snorkel, TJM undertakes a process called ‘colour compounding’. Basically the pigment is mixed into the molten base resin before the product is even moulded. This procedure ensures that the colour pigment is evenly saturated throughout the polymer, preventing it from rubbing off or bleeding.
In addition, this process does not inhibit the particles of the polymer from fusing together, enabling the formation of a strong and dense product. Some competitors snorkels are subjected to a cheaper and easier pigment solution called ‘dry blending’.
This process not only results in a blotchy appearance, it also reduces the strength of the product. In dry moulding, the pigment coats the polymer particles – effectively forming a barrier that prevents the particles from properly fusing together.
TJM Airtec snorkels are designed and manufactured in Australia from Australian plastic materials containing a combination of special additives and strong bonding processes. The result is a product with strong physical properties and tough impact resistance. In colder temperatures the true strength of the TJM Airtec snorkel becomes apparent. Some competitors snorkels are invariably weaker in the cold because of the manner in which they are manufactured. A simple knock from an overhanging branch can crack the snorkel body rendering it useless.